Wiscard Renewal

newcardA Wiscard is only needed to access in-person services. There is no need to replace your Wisard now if you are working remotely or have no reason to be on campus. An expired Wiscard will NOT affect your NetID. If you have questions, email: wiscard@union.wisc.edu.


A new Wiscard and identity proofing process was designed in 2008 to increase campus security and provide better access to campus services. As a result, Wiscards issued since that time carry a 5-year expiration date. Cardholders of soon-to-expire Wiscards will begin to receive email notifications 60 days in advance of their expiration date. If you have received an email notification, your card has expired, or will be expiring soon. Please visit the Wiscard Office at Union South to get a new card.

How do I obtain a new Wiscard?

Visit the Wiscard Office located on the first floor at Union South. Bring your current University ID along with a valid passport or U.S. driver’s license.

FAQs for Replacing Expired Wiscards

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

What will happen when my card expires?

You will lose access to any in-person services on campus. This may include, but is not limited to door access, campus libraries, University Recreation & Wellbeing facilities, Wiscard campus accounts, and University Health Services.

When will I receive a notification that my Wiscard is going to expire?

Notifications are being sent out 60, 30 and 15 days prior to your card expiring.

How soon can I replace my ID?

You can replace your Wiscard up to 60 days prior to the expiration date printed on the card.

What should I do if I didn’t receive a letter and my card is about to expire?

Notifications are being sent to the email address of record. Please verify in MyUW that you have your correct email and mailing address listed.

What should I do if my University ID doesn’t have an expiration date?

Your ID is already more than 5 years old and is no longer valid. You will need to stop by the Wiscard Office and obtain a new ID.

What do I need to bring to obtain a new Wiscard?

In addition to your current University ID you must also bring a valid passport or U.S. driver’s license. Additional information is included under ‘How to Get Your Wiscard’.

What if I will be teaching, doing research, or studying abroad when my card expires?

You may come and replace your Wiscard prior to your departure. Present your travel authorization to the Wiscard staff. If you are away from the University when your card does expire, please remember that most online services should not be affected and you can replace your ID when you return to campus.

Is there a cost to replace an expired Wiscard?

The Wiscard can be replaced for free beginning 60 days prior to the card expiration date.

How long will it take for me to obtain my new card?

It only takes about 5 minutes to obtain your new ID; however, wait times can vary depending on the time of year and number of other customers.

Will campus services work immediately after I obtain a new card?

Different campus services update their systems at different times. For example, Wiscard accounts will work within 15 minutes of obtaining your ID, door access services should transfer within 24 hours, however, if you use a pin number to enter a building you will need to contact your building manager. Please carefully review the information available under How to Use Your Wiscard for more specific information.