The Wiscard Office is located on the first floor of Union South. Students, faculty, staff, or affiliates who need a new or replacement ID card must present a valid form of ID such as a passport or U.S. driver’s license to obtain the Wiscard. Only original documents will be accepted. The authentication process used to issue a Wiscard is also used to establish the initial level of assurance for UW-Madison’s NetID credential.
- Students: New, continuing, or returning students may obtain an ID upon verification of enrollment by the card office staff.
- Faculty/Staff: The Wiscard Office can make a faculty/staff ID card ONLY after the department or school has entered the employee data into the appointment system, and within 14 days of your start date. The Wiscard Office recommends that a new employee call 608-262-3258, prior to going to the Wiscard Office, to verify your information appears in the system.
Your first ID card is issued to you at no cost. This card is valid for 5 years from the date of issue. A $25 fee will be assessed to anyone who needs to replace an ID prior to the card’s expiration date. Please click here for card replacement details.
Acceptable forms of ID
In order to qualify for a Wiscard, you will be asked to present proof of identification. Only original documents are accepted. The following forms of ID are accepted.
Provide one of the following:
- U.S. Passport
- U.S. Passport Card
- Foreign Passport
- U.S. State or Territory Drivers License
- US Federal or State Agency ID Card
- U.S. Military ID Card
- U.S. Military Dependent’s ID Card
- U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Marine Card
If you do not have any of the government IDs specified above, you may also present two of the following forms of ID from the list below. Ideally, one of the IDs presented should include a photo.
- High School Photo ID
- Certified Birth Certificate
- Certified UW Transcript
- UW-Health Photo ID
- Social Security Card
- Military Discharge DD214
- Certified Marriage License
After providing acceptable proof of identity, your picture will be taken, and a Wiscard will be issued to you while you are at the Wiscard Office. You will also receive an email after your card is made, confirming the issuance of your new Wiscard. If you experience difficulty using your Wiscard to access university resources, please contact the Wiscard Office for assistance.