University of Wisconsin–Madison

How to Get Your Wiscard

Identification Required

Students, faculty, and staff who need a new or replacement ID card must present some form of personal photo identification such as a valid passport or U.S. driver’s license (see below for more information).

The University of Wisconsin-Madison currently does not allow remote identity proofing to receive a Wiscard.  A student, faculty, staff, or affiliate member needs to come into the Wiscard office in person with the proper identification to obtain an ID.  The proofing process to obtain a Wiscard is also used to set the initial level of assurance for UW-Madison’s NetID credential.


  • Students: New, continuing, or returning students may obtain an ID upon verification of enrollment by the card office staff.
  • Faculty/Staff: The Wiscard Office can make a faculty/staff ID card ONLY after the department or school has entered the employee data into the appointment system. If this is your first ID, the Wiscard Office recommends a faculty/staff employee call (608) 262-3258 prior to going to the Wiscard Office to ensure your information appears in the system.


Your first University ID card is issued to you at no cost.  This card is valid for 5 years from the date of issue.  Lost cards can be replaced for a $25 fee.  Please click here for card replacement details.

ID Proofing and Issuance Process

In order to qualify for a Wiscard, you will be asked to present proof of identification, in person, at the Wiscard Office, located in Union South. Only original documents will be accepted.

Patrons will be asked to present a valid government issued ID, from the following list:

  • U.S. Passport
  • U.S. Passport Card
  • Foreign Passport
  • U.S. State or Territory Drivers License
  • US Federal or State Agency ID Card
  • U.S. Military ID Card
  • U.S. Military Dependent’s ID Card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Marine Card

If you do not have one of the forms of valid government ID mentioned above, you may alternatively present two forms of ID from the following list.

  • High School Photo ID
  • UWHC Photo ID
  • Credit Card With Photo
  • Social Security Card
  • Certified UW Transcript
  • Military Discharge DD214
  • Certified Birth Certificate
  • Certified Marriage License

After providing acceptable proof of identity, your picture will be taken, and a Wiscard will be issued to you while you are at the Wiscard Office. You will also receive an email, or alternatively, a letter, confirming the issuance of your new Wiscard. If you experience difficulty using your Wiscard to access university resources, please contact the Wiscard Office for assistance.