University of Wisconsin–Madison

Online Photo Submission for New Students

Welcome to UW–Madison! The online photo submission process is quick and easy and allows you to submit your own photo for your Wiscard so your ID will be ready when you arrive on campus. To start the process, click the Upload Your Photo button and you will be prompted to submit your picture as well as a photo of your U.S. driver license or passport. Please read and follow the instructions carefully to ensure your photo meets the specified requirements.

Photo requirements

• Color photo taken in the last 6 months
• Plain, light colored background
• Proper lighting with no shadows
• Face directly into camera with eyes open
• Is cropped slightly above your head to your shoulders
• Is free of sunglasses or hats

Upload Your Photo


Other Faq’S

How do I submit my photo online to receive my Wiscard?

1) Click on “Upload your photo” to get started
2) Log in with your NetID and password
3) Review the Terms and Conditions and click accept
4) Take a photo using your device or upload an existing photo (must be .jpeg, .png, or .gif file)
5) Upload a picture of your government issued ID
6) Review and submit photo
7) You will be notified if your photo was approved or denied. If denied please start the submission process over again

What are the photo requirements?


• Current color photo taken in past 6 months
• Light colored background
• Proper lighting with no shadows
• Individual should be centered, face directly into camera with eyes open
• Crop photo from just above the top of head to just below shoulders
• Wear clothes that you would normally wear at school


• Hats, sunglasses, or other items that obscure the face
• Shadows on face or behind head
• Other visible people, pets or objects in photo
• Inappropriate expressions
• Blurry photo
• Black and white photo
• Professional photos
• Tilted or turned head

Can I take a photo for my Wiscard in person at the Wiscard Office?

Yes, if you do not wish to upload a photo online a picture can be taken at the Wiscard Office at Union South.

Can I change the photo I submitted?

Once your photo has been approved it cannot be changed.

Why do I need to submit a government issued ID?

The government ID is used to help confirm your identity.  Once the process has been completed, this image is deleted.

What if I don't have a government ID card to submit?

You will need to come to the Wiscard office to obtain your ID. Click here for alternative forms of ID that can be presented in person.

I'm having difficulties uploading my photo. What do I do now?

If you are receiving an error regarding SSO authorization, we recommend you clear your cache and cookies in your browser and try again.  If you are still having issues, email

Do you mail Wiscards?

We do not mail Wiscards. All ID’s must be picked up in person and a government issued ID must be presented to obtain your ID.

Do I need a Wiscard if I am studying remotely?

A Wiscard is only needed for in-person campus services. If you will be taking all your classes online, we encourage you to wait until you come to campus to request your ID.

How can I set a preferred name?

You can identify yourself within the University, including in some official records, with a preferred first and/or middle name (not last name) that differs from your legal name. This is completely optional. Examples of when students might choose to use a preferred name include:

• You prefer to be called by a nickname instead of your legal name (e.g., “Jackie” instead of “Jacqueline”)
• You would rather not have your middle name display as part of your commonly used campus name
• You have chosen a name that reflects your gender identity
• You are an International student who prefers to use a specific name while studying in the United States

As long as your preferred name is not used for misrepresentation, it will appear instead of your legal name in many university systems and documents—except where your legal name is required for a business or legal need. Click here for instructions on how to specify a preferred name.